Who Are You?

When I was in the fourth grade I started to cheer. By the time I was in high school I was training to cheer for The Ohio State University. My parents had hired me a trainer and just about every day after school I was either training with her or with my squad. Real cheerleading can be very athletic and competitive. I was ranked as an individual in the nation, and competed individually in competitions. At one point I even considered a career in sports medicine because of everything I’d put my body through. While preparing for try-outs one year in high school I was convinced I could get my standing back tuck. So I set up a video camera and proceeded to try several on a carpeted concrete floor. I still have that VHS tape somewhere around here. It’s proof of the end of my cheerleading career. I faulted on the back tuck several times, and clipped my wrist. Not only did I break the bone but because of all the over use to the joints from tumbling I’d really messed my wrists up. I have a metal plate six screws and a pin in my wrist as a result.

When the dust settled and I realized I would never cheer for OSU, I remember that I went through one of the hardest identity crisis’ of my life. I no longer knew how to define myself. To me I was always Anna the cheerleader. That was how my definition of me went. Finally after a lot of soul searching God revealed to me that what I did was not
what defined me as a person. I had not just been Anna the cheerleader. But I was Anna, a child of God. His title upon me what first and foremost.

So often we define ourselves by what our titles are and who we perceive ourselves to be on this earth. I am a lot of roles: daughter, wife, mother, writer, and friend. But we as children of God have to realize that these role titles are not what define us, but God is who defines us. By definition we are children of God!

Romans 8:15 in the Message Bible says, “This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It's adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike "What's next, Papa?" God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children. And we know we are going to get what's coming to us—an unbelievable inheritance! We go through exactly what Christ goes through. If we go through the hard times with him, then we're certainly going to go through the good times with him!”1 Peter 2:9 in the Message Bible says, “But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God's
instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted.”

In the years that I’ve been a stay-at-home mom I’ve struggled with this very issue. I knew that I was in the plan of God but God had something else on my heart. He has been preparing me for destiny, and that destiny does not include that label. For years I would correct anyone who asked me what I did for a living. I would tell them I was a writer who is currently staying at home to raise my children. Then they would smile at me kind of sad like I was deranged or something.

There is power in your words. God formed the world by speaking. (Genesis 1) You must realize that first you are a child of God, and second even if your not where God has destined for you to be yet, He’s still called you to be there. You must begin to rise up to the label God has placed on you. You must see yourself past the place of where the world sees you, and tap into what God calls you.

In order to fulfill the call of God on your life you must see pass where you are
now. You must know what God calls you. You must realize that before all of this the label upon you is Child of the Most High God and brother or sister to Christ Jesus. Take the lid off the box of your own self today. Get with God, and allow him to show you what is on the side of Here. Because your getting there and here cannot stay. Over there there is plans and fulfillment for a new day. You may be living here now, but your getting there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

....And I broke the Pickle Jar

Lessons Learned In The Pruning Season

Don't Fall For the Fake Jakes!